collagen supplement: the benefits and how to take it
Many people are looking for ways to improve their appearance, and collagen supplements are becoming popular. Collagen is a protein that helps build connective tissue; as we age, our bodies produce less of it. Supplementing with collagen can help improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It can also help strengthen hair and nails.
What is collagen?
Collagen is a protein that helps build connective tissue, like bones and cartilage. It’s also found in the skin, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. As we age, we produce less collagen than we were younger—which can lead to wrinkles, weak joints, and bones.
What are collagen benefits?
- Improve skin elasticity
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles
- Strengthen hair, nails, and joints
- Look younger and more beautiful
- Feel more robust and more flexible
How to take collagen supplements for the best results?
- Take one or two capsules daily with a meal. It’s best to take them with breakfast. - Start taking collagen supplements gradually, and increase your dose over time. You might initially notice some mild stomach upset, but this should go away after a few weeks of use.
Take collagen with vitamin C for the best results. Vitamin C improves the absorption of collagen and helps it work better in your body. - Try taking a multivitamin with vitamin C, or eat foods rich in both vitamins (citrus fruits are delicious).
How to get more collagen into your diet without taking supplements?
- Eat more gelatin. Gelatin is an excellent source of collagen, and you can find it in many foods like gummy candies, marshmallows, and Jell-O.
- Try bone broth soups or drinks. Bone broth is made from slow-cooking bones with vegetables to create a rich liquid that can be consumed as is or used as an ingredient in other recipes.
How to increase the amount of collagen in your diet?
- Eat more animal products. Meats, eggs, and fish are excellent sources of collagen.- Eat more vegetables. Broccoli, kale, and spinach are all high in collagen. - Eat fruits rich in vitamin C. Citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits are excellent sources of vitamin C, and they also contain a lot of collagen-building amino acids.
Collagen supplementation for specific purposes?
-To heal injuries. Some studies have found that collagen can be beneficial for people with joint pain or injuries by helping to repair damaged tissues and increase the amount of collagen in your body.
-To improve skin health. Collagen is thought to help reduce wrinkles and fine lines and enhance the appearance of your skin by making it more elastic and supple.
Which collagen supplement to take?
Collagen with vitamin C is probably the best option. Vitamin C helps your body absorb and use collagen, so adding it to your supplement can help you get the maximum benefits. Other ingredients can support collagen production in the body, like hyaluronic acid, a natural component of connective tissue that can help moisturize skin and joints and reduce inflammation.
How much should you take?
You can take a collagen supplement in capsule form or liquid. The recommended dose is around 10 grams daily, but if you’re starting, it’s best to start with a lower amount and work your way up.
Are there any risks associated with taking collagen supplements?
Some risks are associated with collagen supplements, especially if they are not taken as directed. For example, high collagen supplements can cause gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, diarrhea, and nausea. It is essential to follow the packaging instructions and consult a doctor if any issues arise.
Taking collagen supplements is a great way to get extra protein in your diet. However, it’s important to remember that collagen is not the only type of protein that you need to be healthy and strong. Eating a variety of foods rich in protein will help you meet all of your nutritional needs.